Thursday, October 11, 2012

My Mom's Chicken Curry and Coconut Rice


Made this for dinner tonight... and it was.. SO good. I honestly never thought I would be able to replicate this in my own kitchen. Also made coconut rice with it. One ingredient I added.. for some salt was Thai fish sauce... I know.. I know it sounds weird but it actually gave it a really good umph! 

Anyway the man of the house loved it.. a lot.  He eats anything... so it's always a huge compliment when he says the meal is really tasty. PLUS-- he's not a fan of chicken...so that makes it even better. 

Also I used a whole chicken... wings/drumsticks and all. With the bones. I think it adds flavor.

I also picked up some chicken kabobs from a local halal market...I'm going to try to tackle making those another time. 

Ingredients:

Onion- 1 large or medium
Ginger / garlic paste- 1 tbs
Cloves- 4
Chilli powder - 3 tbs
Dhania n jeers powder - 1 1/2 tbs
Oil- 5 tbs
Chicken - 2 pounds

Directions
How to:  in large sauce pan heat oil, add chopped onions, fry golden brown, add chili, dhana jeera powders and salt, saute for a minute, add washed, rinsed chicken saute for 5 minutes in It's own juices- add ginger/garlic paste and cloves- stir, and add a cup of water. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. 

Eat with roti, rice - goes wonderful with coconut rice

Coconut Rice
1 1/2 Cup Jasmine Rice or Basmati Rice
1 Can of Coconut Milk
1 Cup of Water
The ratio is about 1:1:1 
1 tbs butter
(optional: cloves 3 or Basil-- adding basil makes it more of a Thai coconut rice .. also yum)











My little helper in the kitchen :)

1 comment:

  1. I seriously can't wait to start trying some of these Indian dishes you are posting...they look so good. I love all your pics of the ingredients, and of course your "helper"!

    ReplyDelete